Subclass 500 – Student Visa

Home =>Study Visa / Student Visa

Subclass 500 – Student Visa


This visa allows students to come to Australia and study their respective enrolled courses. Once this visa is granted, students can stay in Australia until the completion of their respective enrolled courses. Our migration agent in Sydney can help you learn more about it


Processing Time for Student Visa – Subclass 500: Processing time varies for every visa offering

Visa Offerings

Study visa offers the following programs to study in Australia by overseas students:

ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students):

English language prerequisite course to improve the English language proficiency to get enrolled in another higher-level course.

Primary and Secondary Schools:

Overseas students can come to study in primary and secondary schools of Australia

Vocational Education and Training (VET):

This allows overseas students to study:

  • Certificate I, II, III, IV
  • VET diploma
  • VET advanced diploma
  • VET graduate certificate/diploma
  • Registered Training Organizations (RTO’s) allows overseas students to develop both educational and work-oriented skills. As a result, these skills provide a pathway to get into different professional industries or higher education programs.

Higher Education Sector:

Higher Education offered by universities of Australia includes:

  • Bachelor’s degree
  • Associate degree
  • Higher education diploma and advanced diploma

Post-graduate Research:

This allows overseas students to study:

  • Master’s degree
  • Doctoral degree
  • Research work

Non-award Courses:

This allows the overseas students to study the foundation studies courses that do not lead to any Australian award but might help in higher education.

Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector:

This allows the overseas students who are sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Department of Defence to study the related courses in Australia.

Do you need more assistance?


Applicant must follow the following steps to apply for the student visa:

  1. Choose the preferred course of study and the Australian institution
  2. Apply either online from the education provider’s website, or through the certified Australian education agent.
  3. Receive the letter of offer from the institution
  4. Receive electronic Confirmation of enrollment (eCoE) by email that will include all the necessary information such as course fee, starting date etc.
  5. Apply for the student visa and student guardian visa.


Every overseas student who wants to study in Australia is assessed on a scale of 1 to 3. Moreover, this assessment depends upon the country to which the applicant belongs. Each country and its educational institutions are assigned different assessment levels. However, the assessment level of each applicant is determined by the combination of the risk assessment index and the university level. Thus, the higher the level of assessment, the more evidence of financial stability and the English language is needed to be provided by the applicant.


Applicant must meet the following requirements to get the student visa:


Applicant must choose the course of study and the Australian institution that must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). And the degree that must be accredited by the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF).

Statement of Purpose:

Statement of purpose is a personal statement written by the overseas students that normally comprises:

  • Academic history
  • Relevant work experiences
  • Personal interests
  • Achievements
  • Reason for choosing Australia
  • Reason for selecting the particular course and educational institution

Statement of purpose is an important deciding factor by the universities as it differentiates the applicant from all others.

Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE):

Applicant must receive the confirmation of enrollment from the education provider and provide it at the time of applying for the visa. To get the CoE, the selected course must be registered under CRICOS.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE):

Overseas students must provide GTE as a statement that the sole purpose of coming to Australia is to study only and will leave after the completion of the degree. This statement shows that overseas students are coming to Australia temporarily to study only. GTE statement is normally comprised of:

  • Academic record or the explanation of gap if taken only
  • Information about the current employment (if any)
  • Evidence of financial stability
  • Home country economic situations

Financial Evidence:

Before applying for the student visa, the applicant must show the evidence of bank statement that shows the availability of sufficient funds to pay the tuition fee, travel expenses and living costs for the period of stay. Applicant must also submit the evidence of financial supporter’s income and employment.

English Language Proficiency:

Applicant must submit the evidence of the English language proficiency as per the requirement of the student visa. Applicant must give one of the following tests as per required by the selected course of study to achieve the required score to meet the English language requirement of student visa:

  • Cambridge Advanced English
  • PTE Academic
  • Occupational English Test

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC):

The overseas student must hold the OSHC from an approved Australian health insurance provider to stay in Australia unless an exemption applies.

Are You Confused?

Get free consultation with our Visa Expert

Connect With Our Certified Migration Agent!

Nasir Nawaz The Migration

Nasir Nawaz

BA (LLB), Masters, MARN 1807450

Review Stars

University of New South Wales postgraduate with Law specialisation in Dispute Resolution and having Graduate Certificate in Migration Law and Practice, Nasir Nawaz is a Registered Migration Consultant. He has passion about different fields of law and his diverse experience spans Psychology, Dispute Resolution and immigration law.

Any Question?

Permanent Residency, Visa Renewal or any other Educational or Visa issue?

    Contact Information

    Our Offices



    Location Mark

    6th Floor, 604 Siddiq Trade Centre, Main Boulevard Gulberg, Lahore, Pakistan.

    Location Mark

    Shamsi Tower, Plot no. 18, Tariq Road Sialkot Cantt



    Location Mark

    Office 2, 16 Kendall St Harris Park NSW 2150